Thursday, June 7, 2018

Comfort Inn Houston Downtown

Common publicity shot of lobby, sourced from TotsAndTravel.com, which still has photos

5820 Katy Freeway

I was actually going to do something else until I found out my current iPhone USB cable no longer works(!) so here's something else, the Comfort Inn Houston Downtown. The name is a definite misnomer, as it is four miles out from downtown and just inside the Loop (it's closer to Uptown at that rate). As unfortunately, the information on the hotel is no longer via HCAD (closed in late 2011 and wrecked by early 2012 to be a new-build Hampton Inn & Suites) as it goes only to 2013, from what I've heard from Arch-ive.org that it was built as a Rodeway Inn in 1960. Both the 2002 city directory and the 2002 Days Inn directory says it was Days Inn & Suites Near the Galleria (a more accurate name than "Downtown", though this information is likely from 2001), but by January 2004 (per Erik Slotboom's video) it had become a Comfort Inn. The room count is 80 on 2 stories, and while it was directly next to a major railroad corridor, I still enjoyed myself when I stayed there in March 2008.


Google Street View from 2011